As a part of our mission to communicate our partner organizations’ work to the broader Jewish world, OLAM is pleased to offer OLAM in Motion subsidies for travel experiences that further this goal. See below for details.
Who can apply?
OLAM in Motion subsidies are offered exclusively to OLAM coalition partners.
For what purpose?
You may request a subsidy for one of two purposes:
- Bringing a media specialist to the field. Bringing a journalist, photographer, or videographer to the field in order to bring greater exposure to your organization’s work on the ground
- Participating in a large-scale Jewish conference. Sending a staff member, board member, volunteer or lay leader to present at a major Jewish conference, to raise awareness about your organization’s work within the broader Jewish community
What costs are covered?
OLAM in Motion subsidies contribute toward costs in one of two categories only:
- International air travel (i.e., plane tickets) for one organization team member or media specialist
- Fees for services for photography or videography if you have chosen to hire a local specialist rather than fly a specialist to the field
Subsidies DO NOT cover intra-city travel, cancellation fees, flight class upgrades, room or board, per diem for food, conference participation fees, equipment, or any other expenses, travel-related or otherwise.
How much are we talking?
Each OLAM partner organization is eligible to apply for a total of $1000 USD in travel subsidies per fiscal year (January – December 2017).
How many subsidies can my organization apply for?
Up to two subsidies per year for a total of up to $1000.
How do I apply?
Submit this application form. The application should take about 20 minutes to complete.
Is there an application deadline?
Applications for subsidies for the fiscal year 2017 will be accepted on a rolling basis from January 31, 2017 until November 1, 2017.
Note: Do not book travel until you have received approval for your OLAM in Motion subsidy. Subsidies are not offered for travel that has already occurred, and we do not guarantee approval prior to reviewing applications.
Who needs to submit the application form?
An official representative of your organization – staff member, board member, or intern/volunteer – with the approval of the CEO or board.
When will I know if I’m approved?
You’ll hear from us within ten days of submission unless you are notified otherwise.
Can my organization pool funding with another OLAM coalition partner?
Absolutely! OLAM partners are encouraged to collaborate to make the most of their OLAM in Motion subsidies.
For example, if your organization is based in Ethiopia and wants to bring a photographer to the field, check in with other OLAM coalition partners in East Africa. You may combine your available funds (e.g., each organization can request $400 from their total allotment to pay a total $800 toward a plane ticket), so that the photographer can fly to the field to document both organizations’ work.
If two partners are pooling our subsidies, does each organization need to submit a separate application?
Nope! Only one organization need submit an application. However, each organization will be asked to fill out the Reflections and Reimbursement Request Form separately.
What does OLAM ask of us in return?
OLAM in Motion subsidies are designed to strengthen the work and visibility of our coalition partners by providing them with concrete takeaways, such as photos of the field, written articles about their work, and broader exposure and connections in the Jewish world.
We ask, therefore, that subsidy recipients:
- Share with OLAM the media content generated through your subsidy, so that we can use it in our efforts to promote your organization’s work. If you are participating in a Jewish conference, we ask for at least 1-2 high-quality photos. If you are sending a photographer to the field, we ask for at least 3-5 high-quality photos.
- Acknowledge OLAM’s role in your receiving this content. For example, when posting about a conference on social media, please include a line acknowledging that your participation was made possible by OLAM. If you send a videographer to the field, please include OLAM in the final video credits (see examples here and here).
- Reflect upon your experience by providing brief, thoughtful answers to a few questions on OLAM’s Reflections and Reimbursement Request Form.
My application has been approved! What now?
Check out this quick step-by-step guide to getting a travel subsidy.
How and when will I receive funds?
Congratulations! Once your subsidy application has been approved, OLAM staff will be in touch with your organization about next steps.
Subsidies will be processed as reimbursements retroactively following the travel experience for which the subsidy was provided.
In order to receive a reimbursement, the participating organization must submit a Reflections and Reimbursement Request Form. Flight receipts, photos and any other relevant materials must be submitted via that form before reimbursements will be processed.
Once your reimbursement request form has been approved, subsidies will be transferred to the participating organization.
How do I make the most out of my OLAM in Motion subsidy?
Click the links below to access OLAM in Motion Tip Sheets.
- Make the Most Out of Your Travel to Jewish Conferences
- Make the Most Out of Bringing a Journalist to the Field
- Make the Most Out of Bringing a Photographer or Videographer to the Field
Who should I contact with additional questions?
Ariel Cohen, firstname.lastname@example.org.